The Common Affairs is launching the first open call for project participation in TCA LAB 2017 — ALTERNATE DIALOGUES. We are looking for creative projects that provide experimental narrative around current affairs. If your current project is a discussion of a news-related subject such as the political climate, social issues, criminal injustice, developments in science & technology, natural catastrophes, sport coverage etc. and you are aiming to tell these stories in different ways than how they are usually portrayed by mainstream media, we would like to develop the project together with you via the TCA LAB program.
Deadline for application: 30 June 2017 (extended deadline)
Application results: 7 July 2017
Project deadline: 30 September 2017
What are we looking for?
- The proposed project demonstrates strong critical journalistic storytelling — for example, it dares to create a strong statement, or gives room for interpretation, or challenges general perceptions regarding the subject.
- It can be a current graduation project, a work in progress, or a completed project for which you are seeking new development and publicity.
- The formats can be broad: comics, printed publications, viral videos, interactive storytelling, or public interventions etc.
- An advantage (but not a requirement) are projects that show a collaboration between journalists (investigative journalists, data miners, researchers), visual makers (designers, artists, photographers, filmmakers) or those who float in between.
- The project must be delivered (or in a beta version) by 20 September 2017.
- Both English and Dutch submissions are accepted.
What do you get?
- Production Budget: all selected projects will receive 800 euros (including VAT) for the production.
- TCA supervision of producing and facilitating the outcome. The structure of TCA involvement will be tailored in agreement with the project initiator(s), which can result in, for example, a weekly skype meeting, having an expert for a feedback session, or bringing in another party to support a technical aspect etc.
- TCA support in connecting your project with our news media partners*.
- The project will be presented as a case study at The Common Affairs Symposium — an official launch of the platform at a venue in Amsterdam. The results will be published on our printed publication and online channels.
- Ownership of the project remains yours.
How to apply?
Please send us the following items to this email email@example.com before 30 June 2017.
- A short description of who you are, who else is on your team and link(s) to your website or some examples of your work. (250 words max)
- Short description and image of the project. (250 words max)
- Imagine with us: do you see the possibility of incorporating this project in a journalistic news report? What kind of value will the work bring to the news organization and its broad public audience? Please give your brief thoughts on this. (250 words max)
The shortlisted application will be invited for a meeting at our studio in Amsterdam, or a skype chat if your are resident abroad.
* The Common Affairs partners including One World Magazine, Workpoint Entertainment, HKU University of the Arts Utrecht, De Groene Amsterdammer, Algemeen Dagblad, Pakhuis de Zwijger, The Hmm, Kingston University (UK), University of Amsterdam, Royal College of Art (UK), Design Academy Eindhoven.